Friday, September 28, 2007

New home purchases

As my wife and I have purchased our first home we are being presented by many tempting choices to buy "stuff". Luckily my wife and I are mostly on the same page when it comes to purchasing household items. However, our new home is three times larger than the apartment we have moved out of. Our living room, dinning room, and two of the three bedrooms are empty. We have placed an order for a new couch and rug for the living room (about $1,000) but have decided to hold off on any furniture for the bedrooms. The dining room set is probably an inevitable purchase within the next 6 months. This is not something I am looking forward to but I know we should just bite the bullet and get it done. Purchasing these items for me is a very difficult process. I want nice things but don't want to pay for them. Is this a problem?

Throughout the entire home buying process I have learned and seen how easy it is to fall into the many middle class traps along the way. First was the real estate agent who kept sending me links to homes outside of our agreed upon price range. Then there is the loan officer telling me I qualify for a $600,000 dollar mortgage. Yikes...I feel sorry for anyone who just goes along for the ride and decides not to take control over the situation. Now we are faced with the traps of wanting to have nice things for our new home. Luckily I have a wonderful wife who does an outstanding job at finding good deals and sales on items for the house. I thinke we struggle equally with these decisions.

The question is how do you balance enjoying today while wanting to save for tomorrow. If we lived in a small one bedroom apartment we would be able to save a lot more money but our quality of life would be very low. I am hoping we have made a good decision with the purchase of our townhouse. The longer we live in our new house the more I think we will stay for many years to come i.e. we will avoid the temptation to upgrade.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you haven't thought about this, but you can get VERY nice things, almost new at AUCTIONS! I'm serious, think about it and look into it. I don't understand why everyone doesn't know about this. AUCTIONS will let you fill up your house for cheap with nice stuff! I'm telling you it is the way to go.

Financial Choices said...

Thanks. That's a good idea. My wife and I need to make some plans to check out some estate auctions in our area.