Saturday, September 8, 2007

4 Years Ago

I was headed home from active duty with no solid plans for my next job. I had a close family member who was very sick with cancer and a fiancée ready to settle down. Coming off of active duty was a huge transition. I was fortunate to have money in the bank, a brokerage account and very little debt except for a car payment. I spent the next 2 years trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing as a civilian. I literally changed jobs every 6 months. I hated just about every boss I had. I also felt completely under used. I had been an officer in the military in charge of at one time almost 2oo people and millions of dollars worth of equipment. I felt my dream of saving money for a better life slipping away. Luckily my wife had a great career and literally carried us through this time. I made enough money to pay some of our bills but very little money went into our savings. However, even with a tight budget we still manage to save a few thousand every year. I was still very frustrated. We had a net worth of about $45K

No comments: