Saturday, January 17, 2009


It's been a while since I've posted so here is a quick update. We had an end of the year problem with bad luck. Our refrigerator went out on us, our computer got a virus and my car's transmission started to do weird things. It really began to feel like the world was working against us. We have seemed to come through the rough patch and are about to start a more steady state of affairs. At least so I hope. The fridge had to be replaced ASAP. I went out and got a mini fridge from Walmart for temporary supply and then later got a loaner from my boss. What a nice boss. I then later returned the Walmart fridge getting back my $89.00. We have since replaced the broken fridge with a new one from Lowes. Pretty standard side by side stainless steel (more grey than stainless) with water in the door. We did not previously have this feature and we are loving it. Nice to throw that Britta away also. The entire Fridge ordeal cost me about $1100. I have my $89.00 rebate in the mail for the "free" delivery from Lowes. I hate rebates by the way.
My computer virus was fixed by myself. I did some research and discovered the name of the virus that was on my computer. I did this by doing a google search for the constant advertisements that were popping up on my computer when I had a web browser open. I then did a search under the virus name which lead me to a website called, "" I posted my issue and a few days later I had a tech person respond with what to do. After several posts back and forth my computer was fixed. Most of what they had me do was download executable files and run scans of my computer. It took about a week but my computer is now fixed and all for free.
My car is a different matter. My transmission is making rough transitions between 1st and 2nd gear and I am almost ready to throw in the towel. I don't plan on replacing the transmission but will bite the bullet and get a used "new" car. I'm looking at Toyotas.
Net Worth Update- Last month was a small gain of about $3K. Nothing to get excited about because I am not sure this trend will continue. However, it is nice not to take another $10K hit. I am still below the $200K mark and standing at $193K. Very disappointing.
A few recent financial moves my wife and I have taken were to up her 403B from 5% to 12%. She also gets a 9% match bringing her to a total of 21% of her pay being put into retirement. I have left mine at 8% for now and will begin transferring money over to our ING savings account next month. My baseline of saving outside retirement accounts is at $1,600 a month. I think I can do more. I also changed my W4 tax form from zero to One. This didn't make a huge difference but will let me bring home roughly $800 more dollars a year.
We are excited to do our taxes this year. Maybe by next week I will have my W2 forms which might complete all of the tax forms required to begin the process. This should be a nice cash inflow for us. Most of it will go to savings although we may splurge on a new table for our dining room with some of the money.
Savings estimate for 2009.
At our current rate we will collectively put in $27K into our 401K/403b accounts. At $1600 a month we will be putting an additional $19,200 into taxable accounts. That is a total of just over $46K in annual savings. Not too shabby. I think I can put more money into savings on occasion. It is the unexpected expenditures that are tough to plan for. Some upcoming expenses that could mess things up are: new car and landscaping project this spring. Let's hope nothing else brakes on me in the next couple of months.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, you're hanging in there and doing much better than I. I was at around 500,000 in June of last year, but am down to around 350,000 and haven't improved on my savings. What realy hurt me was not moving fast enough to save some of my investments. I just thought they'd come back and then it was too late to make a move, or so I thought. Anyway, I still have some things at risk if you can believe it...and I'm hanging on for life.